Buried Propane Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
Warning: This post may make some of you weep, gnash your teeth, and rend your garments.

With that out of the way, I need to run a new buried propane line from the tank to the house. In the past (15 - 20 years ago), I have always used black pipe. Everybody I knew used black pipe. I like black pipe.

Nowadays, I read that black pipe is the devil. Black pipe will rust and crumble faster than a politicians campaign promises.

So, I could still use black pipe but wrap it and paint it this time. But, what is the best option now? PE? Something like this?: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/buriable-gas/plumbing/ecatalog/N-a6l?op=search&sst=All

The underground run will be about 40'.

Yes, I am aware of dangers involved and I recommend to anyone who asks that they have all gas or electrical work performed by a licensed professional.

Edited to add: We are in an extremely rural area. There is no code enforcement. Even so, I try to most of my own work to code.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question. Without a gas licensed you have little chance of being able to buy the materials that you need.

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
If Grainger requires certs to purchase the Endot stuff, they certainly don't make it clear.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I didn't install it myself, but called my propane company to do it, but we had copper ran underground from the tank to my standby gen set, with it's own regulator, and then piped with black pipe after the regulator. cost about $100 bucks if i remember right. i'm pretty sure he used flared fittings on the copper lines too.

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
Copper is an option. I think I have always been subconsciously opposed to putting something that soft in the ground to carry gas. That, and the supposed issues with high sulphur gas.

The redneck side of me would want to run copper in (vented) SCH 80 PVC conduit. Cut my brain some slack. I spent all evening working with my wife on her new kitchen layout and my brain feels bruised now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks