Buried p-trap: remove or...?

Users who are viewing this thread

bac

Reaction score
Just discovered there's a trap on what used to be the laundry drain. I'm going to put a sink and vanity there now. The p-trap was installed down in the overhang (between the floor joists), but it's not easily accessible from the exterior. I could cut open the floor (and more of the wall) to get at it and remove it.
My question is would I regret leaving it there and not putting a trap on the sink? It's 2" so not sure how often would get plugged up with hair, etc. Not too concerned with code but it needs to work well. No trap on the sink would raise concern from home inspector when we sell eventually. Would rather not 'dig' it out but don't want to regret taking the easy way out, either.

Attachments

• 20200120_162650.jpg
    20200120_162650.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Some "fixtures" use a trap below the floor

Bathtubs, showers, floor drains , some grease traps, mop sinks, the problem is servicing them compared to exposed traps . Personally I would remove the below grade trap and use an exposed fixture trap P- trap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks