Building code tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good building code (IRC?) book with illustrations like the illustrated training manual for the UPC? I found something on Amazon, but it had a one star rating because it didn't have any tables. This is for Washington State, if it matters. Thanks.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
The Code Check series has illustrations.

Stop in a real bookstore or local library to browse and find something you are comfortable with.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The Code Check series has illustrations.

Stop in a real bookstore or local library to browse and find something you are comfortable with.
Thanks, Stuff.

I have the code check series and it has been helpful. I'm in the planning stages of a major partial tear-down/remodel and am looking for something a lot more thorough. The potential for having to redo an expensive mistake is just too high in this case. Also facing a new set of inspectors and need to be able to have "informed conversations".

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Hi hj. It's been a while. Not looking for a flame ware here, like I used to have with JW. Just looking for a more direct path than just the raw code books, but not some random book by Bob Villa. There a a couple of books by Francis D. K. Ching that look interesting. Anybody like those?

Over the years, I did a fair amount of plumbing (for myself). It worked well, and there were never any problems. Then times and places changed and I grew up and decided to get permits and learn the UPC. I can now do plumbing that would probably get by hj and Terry. Does that make me an expert like you guys? No. But, it is enough for me to work within the limited scope of what I know I know. If I had heard about the UPC illustrated training manual, it would have been a whole lot less painful.

My next big project brings up the same issue. Time to "learn" framing and such. I've worked along side people who knew what they were doing (and some who didn't), and have done a couple of buildings all by myself. Even passed a few inspections recently. Never any problems. OK, time to learn more codes and do some cool bleeding edge stuff... permits, engineers, reviews, hard work, and inspections. This is my retirement ... for fun.

Any help with learning resources would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...

Reach4

Reaction score
IF "Reading" could make you an expert, why do we spend 4 years in school to learn this stuff?
To answer your rhetorical question, because the requirements were primarily defined in terms of time rather than performance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks