Building a drainfield

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I got my tank set (1750 gallon) and dug out my drainfield and noticed sections of the field have quite a bit of clay. Short of completely relocating the field what can I do? (the test holes were sandy).

My plan is to:

hole dug to 24"
backfill with 2-3 inches of sand (to get everything level)
then 6" of stone
drain pipe
topped by 2-3 inches of stone (covered by fabric)
then 12" of topsoil

I would like to use the infiltrator piping (the pipe wrapped in popcorn) but it's $7 per foot here

Attachments

• drainfield.jpg
    drainfield.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 166

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's been over 25 years since I installed set if tanks & drainfields, but I've done 100's of them. Back then the drain field had to be inspected by the health Dept before it could be back filled.

Back then you didn't need a septic installers license. You do now here in Washington. If there are changes in the soil types, the design needs to vary accordingly.

What does your local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) have to say? Doesn't matter what somebody says in another area of the county. The only thing that counts are your local regulations.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's been over 25 years since I installed set if tanks & drainfields, but I've done 100's of them. Back then the drain field had to be inspected by the health Dept before it could be back filled.

Back then you didn't need a septic installers license. You do now here in Washington. If there are changes in the soil types, the design needs to vary accordingly.

What does your local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) have to say? Doesn't matter what somebody says in another area of the county. The only thing that counts are your local regulations.

Here in CT, you need perc tests and engineering before a permit will be issued. If you don't have good percs, such as in clays or hardpans, you have to bring in approved septic sand.

The days of digging trenches and hoping the septic works are long gone around here..

Reaction score
Here in CT, you need perc tests and engineering before a permit will be issued. If you don't have good percs, such as in clays or hardpans, you have to bring in approved septic sand.

The days of digging trenches and hoping the septic works are long gone around here..

I dug a few test holes for the permit and the holes passsed (soil was sandy).

Would backfilling with sand more and placing the pipe closer to the surface make a difference?

On the other hand I would like to be deeper b/c drainfields can freeze........

Reaction score

I dont want to ask the permit guy - he might say relocate the field - I dont want it near the house or deal with pumps.

But I do want something that works - what would be the best backfill combo to go with?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks