Buderus G215 with baffles removed

Users who are viewing this thread

DrBoom

Reaction score
We have an oil fired Buderus G215 with a beckett burner providing heat and hot water. The unit is about 12 years old and was installed by the prior owners during a major renovation. We've been using the same company as the prior owners to service the Buderus but they have limited Buderus experience and knowledge and I'm questioning if I need someone with stronger knowledge. I don't want to change companies unless there is a good reason as I am happy with the relationship otherwise.

My questions:
1. The combustion efficiency is a bit low - close to 80%. I'm told that this unit had major problems with "sooting up" every few months and Buderus told them to remove all of the baffles which are now stacked neatly next to the unit. The tech tells me that if we put the baffles back in, that might increase the effeciency but we would likely have the same soot issue. Does this seem reasonable or a more experienced Buderus tech be able to better optimize the unit to burn cleanly?

2. We have a minor oil smell when the unit first turns on. It is small enough that if I keep the boiler room doors closed, I rarely notice the odor. However, if I open those doors the odor permeats the entire house. Is it expected and normal to have a bit of an odor when the burner first fires or is this a problem that should be solved. I wouldn't mind leaving the boiler room door open in the winter to let that excess heat in the boiler room better warm the rooms around it in the finished basement but cannot with the oil smell.

We're in 03051 if anyone has a strong recommendation of a Buderus knowledgeable tech in the area.

Thanks, Jon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks