Brown Water after septic flow Test

Users who are viewing this thread

mag327

Reaction score
Could you tell me what would have caused our well water to become dirty after a home inspector did a flow test on our septic system? He left all the faucets in the house running full blast for a very long time in order to put dye in the line to trace the septic field. After that, the well water was very dirty and he took his sample from the dirty water and told us it wouldn't pass. We lost the sale of our house. We had previously taken a water sample and there was no problem other than hard water and some iron ore. We were advised after the flow test to do a chlorination process, which we did, and the water is now perfectly clear. But why did the flow test mess up our water?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
With all faucets wide open the pump ran the well level down or nearly dry and water was rushing in the void. This may have caused the sediment at the bottom of the well to be stirred up. It only a possibility.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have testified against so many "home inspectors" I lost count.

They either find things that are not wrong but they think there is something amiss and make notes that can ruin a sale Or worse they miss cross connections , asbestos , dangerous gas appliance connections and the majority of their reports should be used on the bottom of a bird case IMHO

When designing a plumbing system no one in their right mind would size piping figuring all the fixtures all are running at once

Even the 27 story co op I have been servicing for well over 30 years has a 2" cold water riser servicing 162 fixtures back to back bathrooms on each riser and there was never , ever when all the fixtures were on at once

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Inspectors are supposed to report what they find, not make determination what is wrong. I agree they’re more likely to miss things than find things. 2.5 years ago I put my house up for sale, sold on one day. The number one reason was the house showed that it was well maintained. Would you believe the inspector wrote that some windows were missing screens. What does a $5 screen had to do with the structure and integrity of a home. He did find one braided sink hose weeping, a defective crimp. In South Florida it was rarely that the windows were opened anytime of the year.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Plumbing apprenticeship is 5 years electrical 5 years and carpenter 5 years and roofer 4 years

Isn't it amazing how a "home inspectors" know all these fields and even know HVAC with less than 150 hours of training

Requirements to Become a Home Inspector by State
The path to becoming a home inspector can vary widely by state. Here are some of the largest states and their requirements as an example of how much training can differ. Be sure that as you pursue becoming a home inspector, you check the regulations in your state licensing office prior to beginning the process.

State Requirements
California None
Texas Pre-licensing courses: 128 classroom hours

Exam: yes
New York Pre-licensing courses: 140 classroom hours

Florida Pre-licensing courses: 120 classroom hours

Illinois Pre-licensing courses: 60 hours + 40 experience hours

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks