Bronze vs Brass for Ball Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

perion

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at shutoff valves for potable water. In particular, ball valves made by Milwaukee Valve. They have a line of lead-free valves (Ultra Pure) which come in either brass or bronze. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to picking bronze over brass?

Thanks,

Paul

Reaction score
Bronze is typically stronger. I am guessing the bronze has a higher pressure rating. I would also guess either would work fine for you, I doubt you are need the working pressure limit of either valve.

Ron Lehman

Reaction score
I had the same question when I started making my freeze tolerant ball valve with a freeze plug. You can google it, and what I found is that the strength is very similar. Bronze, because of the higher copper content ,80-86% is more resistant to corrosion when installed in contact with the ground. Hence copper water pipes- soft copper etc. If the valve is used on inside plumbing, there isn't really any advantage one over the other.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most heavy duty things in the potable water supply are made of bronze. Circulators, water meters, and valves. Lesser would be brass.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
My sense would be that bronze is used in environments where corrosion is an issue. Acidic water or salt spray would be an example. If this is not a known issue brass is probably ok. John says the heavy dutiness of the component is a factor and there may be something to that, but if it's just a regular shut off valve, I don't see why it would matter. I have brass shutoff valves that are 100 years old.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Brass valves 200 lbs@250* design for city water
Bronze 600 lbs wog design for commercial and industrial applications. Different fluids and gases.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks