Bronze ball valve cracks

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Boissy

Chicago DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

have a question but wont mention project or manufacturer. Have an apartment project where we've seen 3 bronze ball valve bodies crack. So far 3 failures out of 115 installed. The ball valve is threaded on both sides to receive a soldered copper fitting. On one of the cracked valves, the teflon tape has a bluish hue. Of the other two valves, one was thrown out and I have not see the other so I can't comment on those. On the valve in question, the crack starts at the outside edge of the threaded valve body and is widest at that point then travels towards the ball and handle. The crack appears to be 1/2 to 3/5 inches long and stops where it meets the enlarged housing where the ball is seated.

These ball valves were used on hot and cold supply in various places of the units. The water was on for some time at normal pressures prior to the first cracked valve. Cant confirm always normal pressures but its normal when we measure it. We've had failures on both hot and cold side. Since the first cracked valve, we have seen about a month in between cracks/ failures. If a fourth defect were to occur, we'd be seeing it right about now if past time-frame was any indicator of future failures. When they fail they drip rapidly and can easily do lots of damage to interior finishes if not found quickly. Need to find them within hours of occurent to prevent damage. This doesn't always happen.

At this point its a waiting game and working to resolve with manufacturer. In the meantime, I thought about asking if anyone else has seen cracking bronze ball valves on a project?

Any comments on what can/ may cause it. To keep the thread small, please only reply if you have experienced this. Thanks.

Ron Lehman

Reaction score
You can try the ball valve with q freeze plug in the side. works well. I'm in irrigation and have replaces over 1,000 cracked ball valves... the sides from freezing try the Freeze Tolerant ball valve... they come in all sizes... Ron in denver

Ron Lehman

Reaction score
easy to replace a freeze plug instead of the entire valve. ! they screw right out.

Attachments

• reptured plug dripping.jpg
    reptured plug dripping.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 109

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's FNW. In the last year I've personally had 2 crack on me and at least 3 others in our shop. All were FNW/ProFlo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks