Broken Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

CreativeGirl

Reaction score
The water heater in my apartment broke. Once I realized that there was no hot water I turned off all the water in the whole apartment. The plumber has told the land lord that he will have to replace every faucet, sink and toilet in the whole apartment since the hot water heater broke and there is now some kind of buildup in the pipes (however he is not replacing the pipes just everything else). Most of the faucets are less then 6 months old, since they were recently replaced. Can what the plumber is saying be true, or is she getting ripped off?

Any advice on this would be very helpful. I have not been able to find any information online regarding replacing anything but the water heater.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
What, that's insane! Tell the landlord to get a 2nd opinion...... The only thing I could imagine building up in the fixtures might be calcium deposits, which would clog the aireators in the faucets, but those are cleanable/replaceable.....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is nothing that a failed water heater can do to faucets that would necessitate their replacement. If the pipes are old galvanized, they very well could be badly corroded, but replacing fixtures won't cure that. This "plumber" likely is not a licensed plumber, he's probably a jack-of-all trades handyman. This seems to me to be a case of attempted fraud.:mad:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water heater

The landlord is being ripped off big time, almost to the tune of major fraud. Unless the hot water heater is leaking, it does not even have to be replaced. Call a reputable plumber and NEVER call that one back again. (You might even want to call the BBB and report him so others will be warned about his practices.)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If this guy is a licenced plumber he need to be reported to The state licencing board, the BBB, The local news invesitgation team and anyone else you can think of. This would be a major rip off.

CreativeGirl

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Sounds bogus to me. What exactly broke? Do you know?

I was told it was the drip tube (not sure on correct spelling for that). Since that piece broke that is what caused all the problems.

CreativeGirl

Reaction score
Cass said:
If this guy is a licenced plumber he need to be reported to The state licencing board, the BBB, The local news invesitgation team and anyone else you can think of. This would be a major rip off.

How do you find out if a plumber is licenced? Would I just look up his name in the BBB? Based on what he has said so far, I don't think he is licenced. Not to mention he has a very young kid helping him all the time and I would even go to say doing most the work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There was a period of time when the dip tubes installed in WH were defective. The dip tub can be replaced on its own, but depending on the age of the unit, may not be that useful since WH of that age are probably on their last legs (getting old) and ready for replacement, but not necessarily.

The dip tube is connected in the WH on the cold (inlet) side to direct the incoming water towards the bottom of the tank so it doesn't mix with the hot water at the top, giving you more hot water since it doesn't dilute the hot water as much by being directed below.

When the dip tube breaks up, those bits of plastic end up clogging the areators on your faucets and showerhead. This usually requires removing them, rinsing them off and then reinstalling. Some faucets have screens on their inlet side, so then those need to be cleaned. You might end up having to do this several times unless a good job is done flushing out the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks