Broken steel pipe: Nipple extraction

Users who are viewing this thread

billsfannc

Reaction score
Recently we had a gas leak on the pipe that feeds our pool heater. Upon inspect I saw that the pipes were really corroded (see attachments). So I tried to disassemble the pipe connections and eventually got one of the ends to loosen, but the corrosion was worse than I first saw and the other end of the pipe fell to the ground.

So I have watched many videos.. I have sprayed PB Blaster all around it for 2 weeks, but still I can't get this stupid thing to budge. I bought two different types of nipple extractors and they are slipping on the inside of the pipe. Given it's position I am running out of options.

Any advice is very welcomed.

billsfannc

Reaction score
The image I tried applying didn't work.. so here it is

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_114552.jpg
    IMG_20200329_114552.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 201

billsfannc

Reaction score
Here is another shot of the pipe from tonight after a couple of attempts

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_185815.jpg
    IMG_20200403_185815.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 189

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Be that as it may there are some things you can try. Heat with torch, doubt it will work, but could try. Chisel the nipple and try to break or collapse it so it can be rotated. Or try to unscrew the next joint and get a new elbow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't trust that pipe in the ground and would replace it with something solid and reliable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks