Broken sanitary tee in block

Users who are viewing this thread

whatname

Reaction score
I have found a leaking tee in a bathroom in a block wall. The tee is 2.5" (or 3) thru with a 1.5" on the 90.
The Tee connects the sink drain to the sewer and waste vent. There is limited access due to the location in block.

The broken section does not have enough left to connect a rubber coupler and the rubber replacement tees are the wrong size. Apart from cutting the old tee out and replacing it with a new PVC one what are my options? Would it be a bad idea to bond a 1.5 pipe into the broken section?

If i am able to replace the tee how do i account for the shorter vent pipe to roof?

Attachments

• 20170129_090949.jpg
    20170129_090949.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 389

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need cut out enough of the block so you can work. Then cut the pipe about 2.5 inches above and below the fitting. Make up a similar fitting the same size as you cut out and reinstall it with banded couplings.

whatname

Reaction score
You need cut out enough of the block so you can work. Then cut the pipe about 2.5 inches above and below the fitting. Make up a similar fitting the same size as you cut out and reinstall it with banded couplings.

Is there a structural issue with removing more if the block ir will i need to support it?
Ill need to cut more than shown. Once fixed am i to re mortar the open block or can i leave it exposed for access?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need to support the block. You will need to chisel/cut/break out enough so you can work. I would try not to break through the other side if I didn't have too. Anything that will show should be repaired but that is up to you.

whatname

Reaction score
Thanks Smooky. This ended up being relatively easy to fix. I used a masnory bit and chisel for the block. A wire rope saw worked out to be an easy way to cut the pipe. I used a rubber coupler to make up the lost pipe on the vent side that connects to a short section of pipe bonded to the tee.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope you used a no hub connector with metal support (shield) and two bands, since this is a vertical pipe.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

whatname

Reaction score
123.jpg

I used just a standard fernco rubber coupler with metal bands. Would that be an issue?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The rubber can shift and start blocking the opening. We use the metal wrapping to prevent that. It will depend on the weight and whether there is any strain on it.
I'm glad you were able to get that santee replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks