Broken pump at bottom of well shaft

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Mine quite literally did the same thing with close to 200' of schedule 80 PVC attached when the "SAFETY" rope broke and the brand new $1000 pump ended up at the bottom of my well which is close to 300' deep. Any info that anyone can provide would be much appreciated
There are fishing tools that some well people have and are good with.

Is the PVC top above the water or below? Some search terms for you are fishing, spear, overshot.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-pump-and-pipe-fell-in-well.65959/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....tor-and-pump-set-drop-in-350-feet-well.62291/

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Safety rope"....lol

You need a tool like this run in on 2" steel pipe. The couplings will catch on the fingers and the pump will be retrieved.

image.jpeg

Clayton Montague

Reaction score
So, I've had a 40hp submersible irrigation pump come apart and drop down in the well. Two well crews have tried to get it out with no luck. I see where they are making these "fishing magnets" that advertise up to 3,600 lbs of capability. The pump being round and rusty, I'm not sure that the magnet would grab hard enough to get the pump out. Maybe worth a try though? Anybody tried using one of these heavy duty magnets? There is no drop pipe or wire in the hole, just the pump. I suspect it weighs ~200 lbs.

https://brutemagnetics.com/products...d-neodymium-magnet-with-eyebolt-5-31-diameter

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Never had any luck with magnets. Going to be hard to get a grip on the pump. Need a camera to see what is sticking up before you will know what kind of fishing tool will work. If the casing is large enough an overshot like Craigpump shows would probably be your best bet. If nothing else works you can just pound it deeper down with a bailer or drill sting and set a new pump just above it. I know where there is one well with five pumps pushed to the bottom.

Clayton Montague

Reaction score
yeah, I imagine you are right. Probably a long shot getting a magnet to pick it up. One of the well crews sent their bail bucket down to try and get a hold of it with no luck. Probably all wadded up and jammed up in the casing down there now. The crews around here don't seem like they have tools to fish pumps out of a well. If they can't get it with their bail bucket, then you're out of luck. Seems like finding someone that has "fishing" tools or is willing to spend time to fish it out is not too common. Going to send a camera down and have a look but looks like there's going to be a pump left in the bottom of this one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks