Broken Drain Under Basement Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Mkalin

Reaction score
I live in Portland, OR. The house was built in 1931 and I have a broken galvanized drain pipe under my basement floor. There's efflorescence above the break and general dampness, but I really don't care about that, it's not a finished space. It only carries one thing, kitchen sink water directly to the main stack.

Is there any damage that could occur in just leaving it? The drain scope guy who confirmed it said ultimately it was no big deal, basically the same as a window well. Plus here in Portland, it rains constantly, so what's a little more wet ground under the slab, right?

I was thinking about giving the floor a coat of Dryloc just to reduce interior moisture...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You do know about all the food matter and greasy stuff that goes down a sink drain right?
At some point it will need to be replaced, as kitchen drains don't fare as well as the other pipes in the home because of what is put down them.

Mkalin

Reaction score
You do know about all the food matter and greasy stuff that goes down a sink drain right?
At some point it will need to be replaced, as kitchen drains don't fare as well as the other pipes in the home because of what is put down them.

Good points... what about a filter screen under the sink to catch what might slip past my in-sink filter. And being regular on Bio-Clean to eat any grease remnants?

I know about this only because it was jammed, once last year and once last week. I cleared it fast through the clean-out just with a 1/2" tubing duct taped to a shop vac. And sucking up gravel and sediment that's entering the pipe and making a little grease dam yearly. But I'm good about that and Bio-Clean is supposed to be effective.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I thought ALL civilized codes never allowed galvanized vent or waste lines to be underground . Live and learn

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I thought ALL civilized codes never allowed galvanized vent or waste lines to be underground . Live and learn

It may be cast iron. I've never seen galvanized waste below grade. I don't see many good cast lines for kitchens that are that old anyway.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I found even XH CI will rot away over time because of

1- Poor backfill (soil conditions)

2- Poor pitching

3- Chemicals used to clear grease or other stoppages

My house was built in 1921 still has the original red brass 11/2 main ( I have flushometers) and original XHCI stacks and vents

If it aint broken why fix perfection :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks