Broken Concrete Step

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
The front edge has broken off of the concrete step. There is a large section on the corner missing (2 softball sizes). I want to repair it with concrete. I'm actually thinking about securing a piece of PT luimber to the frojnt permanently and pouring behind it.

Question: Do I need to do something to ensure that the new bonds with the existing concrete such as drill in to the existing and place rebar or secure steel mesh somehow? Also, what is the best material to use to fill this?

TIA,
Molo

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes you do. You'll likely need to put some rebar in there or at least run some large bolts into it. I would also coat all the adjacent concrete in a bonding agent (looks like Elmers glue).

Tom

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Three years ago I repaired a broken piece of concrete step using construction adhesive to secure the broken-off part. It is still there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Polyurethane adhesives are great things. I used some in a hotmelt configuration from Tite-bond and attached some granite in place...on a sample, I was able to break a bond (it was a small contact area and a big lever), but in the process, it pulled crystals out of the granite, breaking the granite rather than the bond.

If the piece is no longer available, a bonding agent and some new stuff should hold especially if you glued in a couple pieces of small rebar (size would depend on how big the new piece needed to be).

Molo

Reaction score
I finished the main repair, now I need to fill some cracks. Can anyone reccomend a product/material for filling concrete cracks?

TIA

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks