Broken 4-inch iron roof standpipe repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

ron350

Reaction score
Broken 4-inch iron roof standpipe repair?

On my aunts house built in 1947 the 4 inch iron sewer vent pipe that sticks out of the roof is broken off just below the shingles.

What is the correct way to repair this so that I can put a seal around the pipe and keep the rain out?

Is there a way to adapt a 3 inch PVC pipe to the inside of the 4 inch iron pipe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Tell us about your attic access at her house? The proper repair would start in the attic, and would usually end with the installation of a special shingle called vent pipe flashing.

ron350

Reaction score
Reach4 I can’t get to it through the attic.

HJ what is a cast iron roof drain?

Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think it best to verify what has happened there. The vent pipe itself is one component, which if broken will need to be properly repaired from the inside of the structure. The flashing is a seperate component which is mounted over the pipe from the roof, and shingled over to force the water to run down the roof and not into the structure.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get up on the roof and into the attic and take some good pictures. We need to see what you have.

ron350

Reaction score
My aunt’s house is 70 miles away out in the country.

Just imagine a 4 inch cast iron pipe broken off just below the surface of the roof. The pipe has a jagged break and the house is on a septic tank if that matters.

Reach4

Reaction score
So you have vaulted ceilings instead of an attic? You, your plumber, or your roofer will need to work from up top then. Clear out space around the metal pipe. Couple a PVC pipe of the right length to that. Then apply the new vent flashing, be it plastic or lead. It will need to be big enough to clear the new coupling.

Flat roof with easy access? Probably not. Go professional and save medical bills and pain.

It is better to describe what you have for a roof rather than what you don't have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The old pipe will probably need to be cut off so it is a smooth, straight end, then, you can extend it up through the roof with a piece of PVC and join it with a banded coupling. You shouldn't try to insert anything inside it. The pipe needs to be fairly large going through the roof to prevent it from getting closed off by hoar frost on a cold winter day.

ron350

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I will tell my aunt she will have to call a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks