Broke my Mom's tub faucet...help please

Users who are viewing this thread

cub412

Reaction score
I was going to change out my Mom's tub faucet today because the diverter wasn't working well. House is 42 years old, plastic pipes. Sorry I don't know if it's CPVC or the other one. No set screw on the faucet.

As you can probably guess when I tried to unscrew it, I ended up snapping the CPVC off. Don't know if the builder had glued the thing to the CPVC or if it was just brittle.

Anyway, I need to call in a professional to save us. The plumber that she always used passed away last year. I'm so worried I won't find the right guy for this project. Will anyone under the age of 60 be able to fix this mess? Are there any questions I should ask him? Is it going to cost a fortune? Will it take a long time so I have to move her into my house for the duration? (She only has the one bathroom). Any help is truly appreciated. As you can see from the time of this posting, I can't sleep because I am so upset with what I did. I really need to fix this as soon as possible (and yes, I'm paying).

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

cub412

Reaction score
How about a picture of the faucet you're working with?
Is this a tub spout diverter?
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately we don't have a way to take or post a photo.
Yes it is a tub spout with a diverter. The pipe is plastic and it snapped off clean right at the wall. The spout has the rest of the pipe with it including the threaded part and the nut that was supposed to twist off (also plastic). All the pipes in the basement are plastic as well.

There is an access door in the closet on the other side of the tub/shower.

I've read several threads on your forum about similar issues. My concern is finding someone who will be able to handle the pvc.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks