BROAN Fan/Light Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
I have a BROAN Bathroom Fan/Heat Bulb fixture that I installed 3 years ago that recently developed a problem. I have the unit wired to a Pass Seymour Countdown Timer for the Heat Bulb, and on a separate wall, the exhaust fan to a standard ON/OFF switch. I went to turn on the Heat Bulb, the bulb came on and almost instantly went out. Just as if the bulb blew. Replaced the bulb. Nothing. Checked the fan. Works fine. Pulled the Timer out of the wall and checked voltage presence. Good. I disconnected the countdown timer and wired the Heat Bulb direct to the incoming 120V. Nothing. Fan works fine. Checked the bulb socket with the Voltage detector. Voltage is present, with or without fan on. Got out the Multimeter and checked the bulb socket. Checked with leads to the socket and the center bulb contact point. Nothing. I am assuming the bulb socket has blown (somehow).

My question is: Is this a relatively common occurrence? Has never happened to me before and did I miss testing something else? I checked the wiring at the unit in the ceiling and all is connected as it should be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Heat lamps require special sockets designed for the increased power going through them. The cycling of heat/cold may have fatigued the socket's connections and caused an internal break or open. Sounds like a new socket may be required. Make sure it is rated for the intended use and do not exceed the fixture's max wattage requirements on the build type and size.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
jadnashua, Thank you very much. That did not cross my mind at all. Now that you mention that, the bottom of the socket looks different than any I have seen. I was going to just replace the unit, but I'll check to see if one is available. $48.xx to replace it, but it saves me some aggravation. The unit is rated for a 250W bulb.

Once again, thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks