Brine Tank Water Smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Had a new 2 tank system installed in December. One tank KL and the other 10% crosslinked resin (2.5cu feet). The softener will regen between 2-3 weeks (I've marked in on the calendar to validate this). The water standing in the brink tank is slightly smelly...maybe a little sour. But, doesn't smell like iron or sulfur in any fashion. I am a little concerned with the water standing that long.

Should the water be odor free? Anything to be concerned about? Pic attached (just cycled yesterday morning).

Settings on softener for reference:

Water softener
Df gal
Vt 5810
Rf df1b
Ct fd
C 60
H 35
Rs cr
Do 21
Rt 2:00
Bw 6
Bd 60
Rr 8
Bf 29
Fm t1.2
Re off
Vr off

Attachments

• IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,442

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
In general the water should not smell but... new brine tanks tend to smell a bit "plasticy" (is that a word?)

You could add a few ounces of bleach to the brine tank on occasion, this would help ensure the brine tank remains fairly sanitary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks