Brine Pick Up Tube w/ Air Check doesn't reach bottom of Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Dwtxbox

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 5600 Timeclock Water Softener and was recently cleaning the brine tank when I noticed the the air check was broken into pieces. I ordered a new one, made sure I ordered one long enough so I could cut it to size, but the seller sent me one that is about 4" short, so it doesn't reach the bottom of the tank like the old one did. Does it matter, or will it still work fine? Thanks.
IMG_2563.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it matters. Otherwise you will have brine down there that will never be used and I would think it would interfere with use of salt. I am not a pro.

So if the seller did not send what was described, you deserve what you ordered.

On a different topic, if your softener is working with city water, at some point the resin will need replaced. When that time comes, I would tend toward a new demand softener instead. It will use less salt than a timed softener.

Dwtxbox

Reaction score
I think it matters. Otherwise you will have brine down there that will never be used and I would think it would interfere with use of salt. I am not a pro.

So if the seller did not send what was described, you deserve what you ordered.

On a different topic, if your softener is working with city water, at some point the resin will need replaced. When that time comes, I would tend toward a new demand softener instead. It will use less salt than a timed softener.
Ok, that makes sense. The seller already refunded me, and didn't require I return it, so today I bought a coupler and added a piece from the old one to get it to length.

I actually just replaced the resin. I got about 12 yrs out of the old resin but it recently started causing problems with my water pressure. I'd like to get a new demand head, but they're so expensive, and this one just keeps working :rolleyes:

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice on the splice.

How long did it take to get pressure problems? Did you confirm that the pressure loss went away when you put the softener into bypass? I would not think that the new resin would be going bad quickly. So the new resin is softening fine, but it is reducing flow.

It would not cause your backpressure situation, but I would check the injector screen and make sure the injector is clean. Injector not working right would tend to cause the brine to be sucked in more slowly, which could cause the salt to not all be rinsed out after regen. Injector has two piece: nozzle and throat.

Dwtxbox

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood. I was experiencing low pressure with the old resin. Since I replaced the resin, my water pressure is fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am happy to hear that. I hope you used 10% crosslinked resin, because it is more resistant to the effects of chlorine.

Bannerman

Reaction score
today I bought a coupler and added a piece from the old one to get it to length.
The problem with a splice is, there is additional potential for air leakage. Because the brine tube and pickup assembly is subjected to negative pressure while brine is being drawn from the brine tank, even a tiny bit of air leakage can prevent brine from being drawn. If you ever experience issues where brine is not drawn from the brine tank, suggest first testing each connection to verify its integrity to prevent air leakage.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is almost certain it is not 10% crosslinked. They would have proclaimed that. I don't even know if it is 8%.

So watch that pressure drop. You will want to change earlier next time I expect.

How would you describe the resin that you removed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks