Breaking handles. Toilet Brand Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

HelenW

Reaction score
I have an American Standard toilet and over the past year the handle/trip leaver has repeatedly broken. It was replaced with an American Standard part
7381004-XXX0A and only lasted a few months. A plastic piece just broke. I wonder if there is a brand of toilet that has a sturdier trip leaver system with less plastic. I do have a family member with a disability who may exert more force on the lever than the average person, so need something that would hold up better. Perhaps a bush button system would be a better choice?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Reach4

Reaction score
If that toilet flushes well when the flush lever assembly does not break, and you go for several person-years with needing a plunger, you could try a Korky Strongarm or Fluidmaster replacement. They are mostly made out of plastic, but the lit says they a spring. I don't know if that will help their durability.

If the flush is not reliable, the Aquia IV has 2 pushbuttons (push 1 (liquid) or 2 (solids)). Not cheap. I don't know how rugged that is, but it is a dual flush that should flush well.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kohler has some touchless models. Wave your hand over the tank and it flushes.

san-souci-4.jpg

Kohler San Souci has touchless flushing.

san-souci-5.jpg

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/san-so...-technology/productDetail/toilets/1030843.htm

Last edited:

HelenW

Reaction score
My bathroom has a countertop that the toilet fits beneath. Can a touchless system work when there is a protruding countertop blocking the light? The
P1020686.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It does not work with light, but rather "proximity" so if you installed the sensor at the front of the tank it should work, you would have the metal "clamp" ' hanging under the lid, however.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks