Breaker size for 220V pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I have a shallow well pump that I'm getting ready to install. It can be configured for 110 or 220. I would rather use 220. The amps on the plate say 8.6/4.3. I assume this means it will draw 8.6 amps at 110 and that each leg will draw 4.3 at 220. I know that #14 wire is rated for 15 amps so I guess this is what I would use, in either 110 or 220. If I were to configure the pump for 110, I would buy a 110v, 15A breaker. My logic tells me that on 220, I should also use a 15A breaker. But I can't find one. I can only find 2 pole breakers in 20A for my GE box. My logic tells me again that in that case, I should use #12 wire. Is this correct? Should I continue to look for a 2 pole, 15A breaker?

Reach4

Reaction score
The manual for your pump probably recommends a breaker size. For a 1/2 HP submersible pump, a 15 amp 2 pole breaker would be normal. You can run 12 AWG, but unless the run is very long, 14 AWG is sufficient. Bigger wire would let you switch to a bigger pump later if you wanted.

Your pump must be smaller than 1/2 HP for a 4.3 amps @230 volt nameplate. What is the pump?

What kind of breakers does your panel use?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Q-Line-15-Amp-1-in-Double-Pole-Circuit-Breaker-THQP215/100172856

Reach4

Reaction score
It’s a Gould’s J5SH. My panel is a GE. I wonder if another brand would work?
Find more detail on your panel. There will be a label. Or identify the model number on one of the existing breakers. Not all GE breakers are interchangeable.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
My run will only be 3 feet from my panel to my pump. My manual says breaker 25/15. I assume this is for 110/220 v. But that seems pretty high for 110 considering the amp draw o. The plate says 8.6

Reach4

Reaction score
Pumps draw a lot more current as they are starting up.

So 15 amp 2 pole breaker would be the right thing.

Check for a label with a model number in the breaker box, even if you have to pull the cover to find one.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Ok Reach. Thanks. I will when I get a chance. But I have a pile of GE breakers that fit. Lots of 110v 15a, 20a, and a bunch of 2 pole but they are all other than 15a. I will google what brand also fits GE. But is worse comes to worse (whatever that means, I never could figure that expression out) I can order online from Home Depot. I already checked that. I wired in a transfer switch from my generator so I’ll have to swap one of those to my pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
But I have a pile of GE breakers that fit. Lots of 110v 15a, 20a, and a bunch of 2 pole but they are all other than 15a.
Post the model number of one of the 2-pole breakers that fit.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
B82E8CF1-CE04-49B6-A7F0-A329AC65ECCF.jpeg

Here’s a 2 pole 20a I have in my panel.
So I’m thinking the one in the link below is what I need for the pump. A 2”, 2 pole, 15a.

https://www.eslsupply.com/ge-indust...kDPQd2LLzuYQTQIB74d5GmaFTjeOiPQ0aAsYkEALw_wcB

Reach4

Reaction score
The breaker in the photo below says Type THQL. Is that what your breakers say?
You might check and let us know what you see there.

img_4.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep. That’d be the one. Hard to believe nobody stocks them.
Nobody is a strong word. It's bound to be in error. What if somebody told you where they were in stock in an electrical store in Charlotte?

Hard to believe that you are in such a hurry that you mind ordering.

Grainger says they can ship it to arrive October 2. Probably not your cheapest choice.
https://www.grainger.com/product/GE-Plug-In-Circuit-Breaker-3HXK5

I would consider https://www.zoro.com/search?q=HQL2115

Last edited:

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Ok sorry. Of the 6 places I checked nobody has them. But I don’t mind ordering one. In fact I think I already said that. I’m on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks