Breaker disengages but doesn't trip

Users who are viewing this thread

unclesamschild

Reaction score
I have a 15 amp breaker on my water well that disengages slightly, interrupting power, but does not trip. If I reset the breaker by turning it completely off then back on, no problems. Well pump comes on, meets cut off pressure, then shuts down. It is while it is not running that the breaker (I was there to witness it once) disengages slightly and is not making contact. It does not fully trip. I thought it was a weak breaker, so I replaced it with a new one, but same result. Water well guy checked out the pump and was there metering it when the breaker issue occurred. He said it is not the pump high amping that I have problem with my wiring between the panel and the pump. Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 15 amp breaker on my water well that disengages slightly, interrupting power, but does not trip.
That is how most home breakers trip. So normal for a breaker. To reset the breaker, move to off, and then back on.

Tell us about your pump. 3/4 HP 230 volt 3-wire submersible, or what?

When does the breaker trip -- shortly after the pump turns on, or after it has been pumping water for a while?

I found a picture that illustrates a tripped breaker.
tripped-circuit-breaker.jpg
The picture is from https://www.anthonyphc.com/blog/guide-water-heater-repair-kansas-city/tripped-circuit-breaker/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks