Brasscraft compression valve spontaneous leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Kam?

Reaction score
We installed Brasscraft compression valves for sinks and toilets in new house. All worked well. Months later, different valves have spontaneously begun to leak. This has happened to different valves at different locations in house. Each leaked on different days, sometimes months apart. There was never an obvious cause. Normal temperature inside. All have been on cold water lines only. The valves were not all from one same lot or box. Each box was purchased at HomeDepot or Lowes.
In each case no one was using the sink or toilet. We just heard or saw water dripping from each valve. The first leak went for 2 days before detection because house was empty causing $30,000 damage.
We checked water pressure it was fine at 40. None of the valves looked defective.

What could cause a valve to spontaneously begin leaking?
We've installed alarms but won't help if no one is home.
How we stop this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think insufficient torque, and not lubing the threads on the nut to let you get more tightening with your small wrenches.

But then for a little undertightening, the leaks would have been tiny. To let the valve blow off of the copper pipes, you would have to have grossly undertightened. I am not a pro.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you would clarify *where* the water is dripping from the valve; e.g., at the stem, at the pipe onto which the valve is attached. Feel free to attach a picture or two that shows where the leakage is occurring.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I try to never leave the water on with a newly constructed system when I know no one will be around. That's number 1. Could be any number of reasons. This situation, I would guess was poor installation and testing.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
What exactly remedied the leaks? All the same ? Just tightening the 5/8" compression nut?
What experience level of installer ?
Please provide more info

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber and have never used the compression stops (usually crimp them on).

However, I do have a question for the pros. Would it be unusual for a compression stop to blow off, if it had initially been tightened sufficiently to be water tight?

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not a plumber and have never used the compression stops (usually crimp them on).

However, I do have a question for the pros. Would it be unusual for a compression stop to blow off, if it had initially been tightened sufficiently to be water tight?
Yes it would be unusual. I haven't had it happen. Only drips now and then. But it's found out right away.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
None of the valves looked defective.

Leaking from the compression or from the valve body itself?

If a connection/compression leak ,what kind of pipe? Copper, PEX, etc.?

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks