Brass to Lead Flange Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

cribbj

Reaction score
Had one of Houston's finest out about six months ago to clear a clog, and he pulled this toilet to get his auger into the drain system. About 3-4 months after his visit the toilet developed a leak around the base. I wasn't that impressed with the plumber the first time around, so I didn't want to call him back and decided to pull it myself to see what's going on. It's located on the bottom floor, and we're sitting on a slab. House is about 25 years old. The toilet didn't have a noticeable rock at all, and seemed to be stable.

When I lifted the toilet off, it wasn't obvious where the leak was coming from, but there was a LOT of wax under and around it. Obviously, not enough to prevent it from leaking, however.

After cleanup, it looks to me as though I have a brass flange soldered to a 4" lead pipe. It necks down to about 2 5/8" ID and shortly after that, transitions to a PVC pipe of unknown diameter.

The flange is tilted downward about 3-5 degrees from 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock, with 2 o'clock being about 1/8" to 3/16" above the finished floor, and 7 o'clock being flush to maybe 1/16" below the FF.

There are no mounting screws from the flange to the slab or subfloor; also there doesn't seem to be much, or any support under the flange from the subfloor. Perhaps this is from rot, or ????

My gut is telling me to get a new wax ring (with or without horn?) or the Fluidmaster wax free bowl gasket, reassemble, and call it good (hopefully).

But I thought I'd better check with those who are more knowledgeable than I am.

Questions:

1. Should I put some tapcon screws from the flange into the slab, and if so, should I also try to shim the flange from underneath and give it some support?

2. Is the nonlevel surface of the flange (the tilting) anything to be concerned about, or will the wax compensate

3. The solder looks to be in good shape, but there's some high spots - nothing major IMO, but maybe some 1/8" bumps here & there. Again, are these anything to be concerned about, or will the wax compensate?

4. Thoughts on the Fluidmaster wax free seal? http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-prod...free-gaskets/toilet-wax-free-bowl-gasket.html

IMG_6571 (Small).JPG
IMG_6572 (Small).JPG
IMG_6573 (Small).JPG
?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would screw down a repair flange over the existing and use it to secure the bowl. Set the bowl before using wax to see if it needs any shims to make it solid, and then reinstall with a jumbo wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks