Brass tailpipe stuck - plase help

Users who are viewing this thread

joengn

Reaction score
Seemed like when I put in the new bathtub the existing drain would work fine (same size as the old tub) but now I realize that the tailpipe is just a couple cm too short. So I was trying to remove the brass tailpipe, which is inserted into a galvanized nipple which attaches to the trap. I can't get the tailpipe loose, nor can I get that galvanized nipple to loosen up. Any advice? I tried a pipe wrench, hammering the tailpipe to loosen it up (although I don't have access to it from above so hammering it is tough). Thought about sawing it off but its so short as it is. I wouldn't even mind replacing the trap but everything is stuck! Please help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tailpiece

Without access to the top you may be out of luck, because that tailpiece is probably corroded into the nipple. From the top you could bend it inward and pull it out, but not from the bottom. Forget about removing the nipple unless you have a couple of very big wrenches and room to put extensions on their handles.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try using a propane torch. But have a fire extinguisher handy.

joengn

Reaction score
Well the tailpiece was stuck from above too. If it has to come to flames I'll be calling a plumber. Maybe it's just easier for them to cut the pipes back before the vent and trap, put in a union and redo the trap and all. Its not that big of a section. No idea what it'll cost me but you gotta have a shower!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
joengn said:
If it has to come to flames I'll be calling a plumber.

Heat sometimes works in these circumstances to expand the joint, while breaking it free from all the corrosion.

It's no more difficult to operate a torch than anything else you are doing. And, if it works, it can save you big bucks.

If you don't want to try the torch, you can squirt some PB Blaster in the corroded joints and let it react with the corrosion. Just don't use the torch after that, cuz the PB Blaster is flammable.

joengn

Reaction score
clarification

just so im sure, do you mean get one of those couplings and a tailpiece extension. Put the coupling on the existing tailpiece (thats in the galvanized nipple) and the extension and then insert the extension into the drain assembly?

if so, whats the best material for the extension (which doesn't need to be long at all).

do they also sell those at Home Depot or are they typically special order from the website?

Last edited:

joengn

Reaction score
update

just thought i'd post a long overdue update since sometimes reading these I like to know the outcome.

I was able to saw off the old tailpipe flush with the top of the nipple. Then I put on an ABS coupling and trap adapter. Installed a new PVC drain assembly on the tub and everything worked perfectly. Tested the drain and overflow. Thanks for the replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks