Brass P-Trap to Copper sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Smythers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm repairing a kitchen sink p-trap that had a soldering job that completely failed all around the joint. I just pulled the 1-1/2" brass p-trap out of the 1-1/2" copper sewer pipe 45 degree elbow by hand. That copper elbow has a solder elbow for the p-trap to mate into, but when I was cleaning it up, I noticed that there was a piece of old copper pipe still left in that solder elbow. I guess the last person was trying to soldered the brass pipe to that old end piece.

I thought I had it made... just unsoldered that extra piece of pipe, clean up the elbow and solder the brass pipe back where it should be, no worries right?

Wrong.

I've measured the brass pipe diameter and it's 1-1/2". Same with the copper sewer line is the same. But when I fit the brass pipe in the copper elbow, there's a (relatively) HUGE gap. Too big to just fill with solder, I could almost fit a matchstick in there. So I must be missing something here.

How do I bridge this gap properly?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks