Brass fitting split causing leak-can I avoid this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jefrf

Reaction score
I'm a part time general remodeler. I had a call back from a kitchen remodel from about 2.5 years ago. A brass reducing fitting under the island was partly split in its thinnest part (center of face of the hexagon) and water sprayed. Still waiting to hear what insurance company says. Luckily hes' a good friend and is taking it well, and it was on a slab so damage was limited to near the island. Hopefully insurance comes through and I can go replace tile and wood floor in that area.

I only tighten fittings as far as needed until no drips come out, so I don't just crank the crap out of them. I use slip-joint pliers to turn, and usually locking pliers to counter-rotate the other fitting I'm going on to. Should I be using better fittings, not from the big box home center (plumbing supply fittings any better quality and thickness??). Or should I use box wrenches for a better purchase on the fitting body so I don't put too much pressure on the thin walls? Or both? Any help much appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Impossible to tell because the failure could be any of several reasons, and impossible to predict when, or if, it would happen. Why were you using the bushing?

Jefrf

Reaction score
Impossible to tell because the failure could be any of several reasons, and impossible to predict when, or if, it would happen. Why were you using the bushing?
I was going from 1/2 inch PEX to a bar sink faucet which had 1/4 -inch steel braided hoses already integrated. So this was reducing 1/2-inch down to 1/4" compression.

Mliu

Reaction score
You've given us a lot of information. Except you left out one critical detail: what thread sealant did you use?

I'm guessing PTFE tape (AKA Teflon tape).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks