Brand New Well Pump - Have Dirty Water Suddenly

Users who are viewing this thread

mouserDIY

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Here is my dilemma.

I just installed a new well pump in a house that has been ALMOST vacant for the last 10 years. The water pressure had been horrible and the pump that I believe is 30+ years old finally stopped working.

I pulled up the pump myself.

The pump sits at ~150 feet.
The water starts at ~100 feet.
The well casing is ~6".
The piping is 1 1/4" black poly.

I also installed a cycle stop valve. I also dumped 2 liters of bleach down the well while the motor was out. The pump/motor I installed is a 1hp 10gpm pump. It has excellent flow and pressure.

And now on to the problem... Ever since installing the new pump there is a significant amount of dirt in the water. There are times when the water will be clear for a few seconds but then it becomes dirty again. Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Keep pumping as long as you get dirty water. Then pump some more.

mouserDIY

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I guess my concern is that this could be dirt from the bottom of the well. Is that unlikely?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump is sitting on the bottom you may need to raise it a few feet. But no matter where the dirt is coming from, it still needs to be pumped out until it is clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks