Brand new shower leaked into below kitchen on the first run :(

Users who are viewing this thread

BoomzDaddy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

10 minutes into our FIRST full run in our new shower, we started getting a leak into the kitchen cabinets downstairs. Immediately shut the shower off and the water stopped leaking into the kitchen. No leaking after this and We did not shut off the main line at any point.

Bring back plumber today, have water running for longer than those 10 minutes and no sign of a leak anywhere. Nothing coming from the area of the drain (which is pretty close to where the leak was coming down originally ). No sign of water coming down the pipes from the valve, diverter valve, or dual showerheads that we have access to (the lines below them) our attic space.

Not a professional by any means...is there any causes to have a leak on a first run with a shower or some type of residual and then nothing on the second which was running longer?

Thanks!

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's probably something to do with the walls or joints between the wall and floor. What you should do is make sure all the caulk is sealed properly, make sure there are no gaps around the trim plates for the fixtures.
It won't leak if the water is going straight down to the shower floor. Once you get in and start splashing around it will splash on the walls and the leak will show up. That's why it didn't leak with just leaving the water running.

BoomzDaddy

Reaction score
It's probably something to do with the walls or joints between the wall and floor. What you should do is make sure all the caulk is sealed properly, make sure there are no gaps around the trim plates for the fixtures.
It won't leak if the water is going straight down to the shower floor. Once you get in and start splashing around it will splash on the walls and the leak will show up. That's why it didn't leak with just leaving the water running.

Thanks!

So I looked, none of the trim plates have caulk around them. Two of the plates (shower head and dual showerhead) were not adhered to the wall at all! They aren't dangling or anything and were pretty close to the wall but obviously not adhered. It is a really nice Kohler unit with a lot of power so you may be right that the splatter got through. It just seems like a lot of water that came down (only after 10 minutes) just to get into that little gap between the plate and tile :(

We did let it run with the plates off, too and no sign of a leak.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's normally what Plumbs says. You stand in the shower with the water bouncing off your body and onto the wall where the shower valve is. The water gets behind the wall plate and where the tub spout is. I use a clear polyseamseal there. I caulk most of the way around but leave it out at a small part at the bottom. If water gets past my seal, I want it to be able to drain down inside the tub/shower area.

The wall plates for the shower arms, I don't really care about. I never get leaks there.

BoomzDaddy

Reaction score
It's normally what Plumbs says. You stand in the shower with the water bouncing off your body and onto the wall where the shower valve is. The water gets behind the wall plate and where the tub spout is. I use a clear polyseamseal there. I caulk most of the way around but leave it out at a small part at the bottom. If water gets past my seal, I want it to be able to drain down inside the tub/shower area.

The wall plates for the shower arms, I don't really care about. I never get leaks there.

I fixed all of the issues with loose plates and we have checked all grout (and sealed it) and seals, took one shower for 25m with no leak, wife then takes a shower and we have a leak again. We called out a very reputable plumber that ran several tests on our valves and drain, everything checked out fine. I took a shower with no problem, my wife took a shower today and the leak happened again!!!!

We are dumbfounded and frustrated why testing comes back with no problem, my showers are ok and she’s had a leak twice. Absolutely dumbfounded and upset.

I’ve read online weight could be an issue, but I weigh more than my wife. Ironically, it happened at about the same exact timing in her shower process.

Last edited:

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'll probably have to cut drywall to find the issue. I don't see how it can be a plumbing issue.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Leaking shower pan maybe? I'd maybe cover the drain and fill the shower with 1" of water and let it stand to see if it leaks.

BTW, tiles and grout are not expected to be waterproof. The shower pan or whatever construction method used (e.g. Kerdi) should be water proof before the tile is installed. Whoever built your shower should have tested this before installing the tile.

Last edited:

BoomzDaddy

Reaction score
Leaking shower pan maybe? I'd maybe cover the drain and fill the shower with 1" of water and let it stand to see if it leaks.

BTW, tiles and grout are not expected to be waterproof. The shower pan or whatever construction method used (e.g. Kerdi) should be water proof before the tile is installed. Whoever built your shower should have tested this before installing the tile.

Thanks, there is concrete Underneath (the water flow appears very good towards the drain), there is cement backer on all walls with a membrane over both the concrete “pan” and also over the walls.

Both times it leaked it took about 15 minutes to come into the kitchen. It’s a steady pour until the water gets shut off...then it stops.

Last edited:

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Google "shower pan construction" and "shower pan leak test".

The concrete you mention is likely a mortar bed. Was a liner installed under that? If your drain is not clamped properly around the liner, it could leak there. If a leak test was done before installing the tile, you would know that.

Or maybe the trap is not glued properly to the drain.

You could also remove the shower head and cap that. Turn on the water to pressurize the pipe between the valve and capped shower head (no water should flow out). That should show a leak after the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks