Bradford White problem after flushing and maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

BobinWA

Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday I flushed out our 75 gal. Bradford White propane heater, Model MI75S6CX12, S/N TF5745285. It's been working just fine for years. It has a White Rodgers Gas Control, p/n 265-4618203. 21 years old, never had any issues with it.

After flushing and filling, I started it up, and it took a little longer than I remember to get the pilot light to stay lit on it's own, but probably about 1 minute. I turned it up and left. Came back an hour later and everything was out, including the pilot light. Did this 3 or 4 times, and notice it actually goes out much quicker than an hour. So I decided to do some troubleshooting, as follows:

- cleaned the thermocouple with steel wool. Looks great now.
- checked the pilot tube and assembly for clogs/kinks/etc. Everything looks good.
- reassembled. Still have the problem.
- removed thermocouple from control valve and checked for millivolts on open thermocouple. While holding down the pilot knob, after 3 minutes I had a reading of 30.9 millivolts. Looks good.
- Tested the ECO by checking continuity from the pilot tube to the center contact on the termocouple seat. I had continuity.
- replaced thermocouple and tested millivoltage, while holding the pilot light for 3 minutes. Per the service manual, I used the outside of the thermocouple and the top terminal on the back of the gas control valve. I never read above 2.0 millivolts.

So, a few questions:
#1 - This seems to indicate a problem with the solenoid/magnet portion of the control. Agree or Disagree?
#2 - Anything I've overlooked in troubleshooting that might indicate some other problem.
#3 - Given that this is 21 years old, and looking inside the burner area, I can see some rust/wear/corrosion, would you suggest replacing the $164 control valve, or just using that money towards a new heater?
#4 - If I replace the unit, which brand would you suggest?

I know these last 2 questions are very subjective, but I figure everyone's got an opinion, and the more I can get the better my decision will be.

Thanks for the help.
Bob

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
After 21 years you are on borrowed time. A new heater will be more efficient for many years since the interior of the tank will not have any mineral deposits. It is also a good time to re-evaluate your hot water usage and type. For one, why us there a 75 gallon tank? Your household members may have been different 21 years ago. From this forum, many have dual tanks or 75-80 gallon tanks because of a spa tub or worse yet, a very cold water source with teenage daughters. The cost of standard tanks are approaching the cost of tankless units so its an option to look at. Even all electric heat pump water heaters, the cost is high but very low cost to operate. The cost of propane may be near the same as the cost for electric. You ar eonly about 30 miles from Terry Love Plumbing.

Check with your propane supplier and your electric company if there are any rebate programs being offered for High Efficiency water heaters.

https://www.energystar.gov/rebate-finder
https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-water-heaters/results

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you should never mess with old sleeping dogs.... its best let them lie....

now you have opened up a can of worms and eventually you are gonna have
to change out that water heater...... if it is 21 years old you might as well just
change it now instead of throwing a bunch of money at it.....

even if you find the t-stat for that heater its just throwing good money away
on something that is too old to fool with,

I am sorry but You have screwed the pooch, with some effort it will probably let you bring it back to life but it will probably spit in your face in a few months and start leaking.....then you start the whole process over......

cause its 21 years old

good luck..

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 21 year old water heater can't give you the dependability you are seeking, so why not replace it now to avoid possible future disasters like flooding or no hot water in the middle of a shower?
Do it on your terms, you have nothing to gain by waiting and a lot to lose if something like this happens.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
A 21 year old water heater can't give you the dependability you are seeking, so why not replace it now to avoid possible future disasters like flooding or no hot water in the middle of a shower?
Do it on your terms, you have nothing to gain by waiting and a lot to lose if something like this happens.

Follow this mans excellent advice...
I have found over time that when you try to eeek out a few more years out of something real old and near its demise
it will normally go out either on Thanksgiving day with a lot of company at your home or it will wait until X-mas eve
and you have a bunch of family staying over at your home.... like National Lampoons X-mas special..... LOL.

I love that movie.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks