Bradford White PowerVent piping question

Users who are viewing this thread

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
I have a Bradford White M1TW something 40gal Nat Gas Power Vent water heater. It was installed 4-5 years ago after a bad sewer back-up mucked up the burner? on the old one. It has run fine and stuff, but the other day while outside near where the vent comes out, I noticed the pipe was tweaked or twisted. It has a T on the end, and the branches on the T extend about 4-5 inches out, have screen inside. Forever I have seen the T horizontal (at least I don't remember it being otherwise) but the other day one side of the T was pointing up at around 15 degrees maybe? I twisted it back into normal place. Fresh snow, I didn't notice animal tracks or anything. Kind of let it go.
In the basement today while getting ready to tackle some plumbing and electrical out to an addition I noticed the vent pipe disconnected. It is all 3" PVC, and it was disconnected at a hub about a foot before exiting the house wall. So the straight pipe out to the T is free and hanging there. It looks to me like it wasn't ever glued. I guess my question is before I bust out the primer and cement, do I need to be worried about combustion? I don't like the sound of working with anything gas, and there's a furnace within 10 feet too. Can I prime and glue it without shutting stuff down, or should I cut power to both appliances beforehand? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't like the sound of working with anything gas, and there's a furnace within 10 feet too. Can I prime and glue it without shutting stuff down, or should I cut power to both appliances beforehand?
While I would prime and glue 10 ft from a flame, OSHA says 50 ft away. So I would not recommend that you would do what I would do.

Primer is category 3.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10673 says
1926.152(f)(3)Category 1, 2, or 3 flammable liquids may be used only where there are no open flames or other sources of ignition within 50 feet of the operation, unless conditions warrant greater clearance.

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
While I would prime and glue 10 ft from a flame, OSHA says 50 ft away. So I would not recommend that you would do what I would do.

Primer is category 3.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10673 says
1926.152(f)(3)Category 1, 2, or 3 flammable liquids may be used only where there are no open flames or other sources of ignition within 50 feet of the operation, unless conditions warrant greater clearance.

Thank you. I will shut off power to both. This isn't exactly a basement in the 'basement' sense of the word. I would essentially be using fume-iferous things in a large enclosed closet. I got the pipe to slide into the hub for now, and hopefully my CO thingy is working.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

Primer is category 3.

Oh Pleeeease....give me a break..... you really cant be serious....
Unplug the heater if you are afraid of somehow setting something on fire
it aint gonna happen....

The next time I accidentally spill some glue or primer in a home I better call the fire
department just in case.......have the basement fumigated and get OSHA involved too..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks