Bradford White Heat Trap and Recirculation Pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

BrennanPersonal

Reaction score
I have a Laing recirculation pump at the end of my hot water line under a sink. The pump has failed. New Laings are north of 700.00 so that's out. Recirculation pumps at the top of water heater seem a good bet, but I am warned they won't work with a heat trap. So my questions are:
1. Is this correct?
2. Is there a remedy?
3. Can I remove the heat trap from my 2019 Bradford White 50 Gallon Tall water heater.

Thanks for any answer or recommendation.
Mike Brennan

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Heat traps will block water flow if the recirculated water is in the reverse direction. However, that is usually not the case with a HW recirculated.

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 2.54.00 PM.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As mentioned, traps should only stop reverse flow and that should not happen. A popular way to plumb in passive (convection) recirc loops is to use the the drain port for the return. Even then, a check valve is used on the return.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A tempering valve may produce more issues. At least one of them has an inlet for recirculation that I've seen. Since you're not using hot water when recirculating, there's no flow from the cold side to replenish the tank, and the tempering valve is trying to cool the water you're pushing out into the hot line, but can't unless you have that port.

But, as was said, pushing hot water out the hot line shouldn't be hindered by the hot water heat trap. Pushing the return line into the WH via the cold line is the normal flow direction, too. If the cold heat trap isn't working well, you might get some flow out both the hot and cold lines if you use the drain line as your inlet for recirc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks