Bradford Defender pilot keeps going out (thermal switch popped)

Users who are viewing this thread

rdlsz24

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 50 gallon Bradford Defender water heater with a build date of March 2016. We moved into the house in 2017 and haven't had an issue with it until yesterday. Noticed we didn't have any hot water so I went and checked it and the pilot was out. I took the door off and cleaned out inside, burner, vacuumed louvered tray, etc. Then I tried relighting it by following the instructions and the status light wouldn't blink so when I would let go of the button the pilot would go back out. That was when I noticed that the little button on the thermal switch was popped out, so I pushed it back in. Pilot stayed lit and I was back in business. Since then, though, it has happened two more times.

If found the service manual at https://s3.amazonaws.com/bradfordwh...prior_naeca_archived_servicemanual_44943d.pdf, and it suggests cleaning like I did, wrong venting, or wrong gas pressure. I wouldn't think it would be the venting or gas since those haven't changed in years.

Is there anything else I should try before calling somebody? Does using compressed air clean better than a shop vac? I'm assuming I shouldn't try replacing the thermal switch since it is popping for a reason right?

Rob

Last edited:

Niccolo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 50 gallon Bradford Defender water heater with a build date of March 2016. We moved into the house in 2017 and haven't had an issue with it until yesterday. Noticed we didn't have any hot water so I went and checked it and the pilot was out. I took the door off and cleaned out inside, burner, vacuumed louvered tray, etc. Then I tried relighting it by following the instructions and the status light wouldn't blink so when I would let go of the button the pilot would go back out. That was when I noticed that the little button on the thermal switch was popped out, so I pushed it back in. Pilot stayed lit and I was back in business. Since then, though, it has happened two more times.

If found the service manual at https://s3.amazonaws.com/bradfordwh...prior_naeca_archived_servicemanual_44943d.pdf, and it suggests cleaning like I did, wrong venting, or wrong gas pressure. I wouldn't think it would be the venting or gas since those haven't changed in years.

Is there anything else I should try before calling somebody? Does using compressed air clean better than a shop vac? I'm assuming I shouldn't try replacing the thermal switch since it is popping for a reason right?

Rob

I had a slightly younger version of the same water heater, and the pilot started going out, first monthly, then weekly, then daily, then multiple times a day. Apparently there's a known issue with the control valve, so the current model has a different control valve. I was able to get a warranty replacement (which provided a new heater, but didn't cover labor) authorized. But in the interim, we shut off and then turned back on the water heater, and the pilot light issue almost resolved. The heater was still replaced, and I'm not sure if any of this will be helpful, but since I'm guessing we had the same generation and model water heater, thought I'd share.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call BW customer service, see if you are still under warranty and if they can help you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks