Box Out - Dap Out Empty? Shouldn't there be a pipe here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Ashton

Reaction score
I am trying to frame in my walls for a bathroom that was supposed to have all the rough in plumbing complete. As you can see in the picture, it looks like it was all setup, but when I took the cover off of my box out labeled,"Tub Drain" so I could estimate where to put the back wall, it looks like there is nothing in here?
Is it normally just buried really deep or I am just missing something? Why would the builder put a box out for a drain, but not run any pipe over to it? The main sewer line in the picture would not comes towards the drain it goes the opposite direction the arrow is pointing to the main sewer line in the back alley. Really confused and now wondering if I am going to have to channel through the concrete to try and run the line over to this box out.

2017-03-05 12.52.48.jpg

Last edited:

Steven Ashton

Reaction score
Thanks HJ! You're right! I went and dug a good foot or more deeper into that box and there at 16" down, I finally found it. Whew! I thought I was going to have to start breaking concrete!!

2017-03-05 15.43.16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven Ashton

Reaction score
On the same first picture....another question...as you can see that the standard 60" shower will be oriented with the drain on the right and the shower wall covering that main sewer line as I am going to build the exterior wall out enough to frame that in. Is that ok? I don't see any otehr way around it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks