Bowl scaling above water line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Washer55

Reaction score
One of the AS toilets in the house is getting this unusual buildup around the water line. CLR won't take it off but scrubbing with bar keepers friend does.

We have an identical toilet elsewhere in the house that doesn't seem to have this issue. Is there a water issue or tank/bowl issue that might cause this? Thanks

Attachments

• 20190308_102330.jpg
    20190308_102330.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 147

Reach4

Reaction score
For those reading, he has a well and a softener.

Washer55, Pumice, such as Pumie brand, can be good at taking off such rings. Is the toilet that grows the ring used much more often? Is it more often used by people who forget to flush?

Washer55

Reaction score
For those reading, he has a well and a softener.

Washer55, Pumice, such as Pumie brand, can be good at taking off such rings. Is the toilet that grows the ring used much more often? Is it more often used by people who forget to flush?

Yep thanks Reach I do have a well/iron filter and softner. Filters obviously not work as well as I'd like.

It is used more often.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep thanks Reach I do have a well/iron filter and softner. Filters obviously not work as well as I'd like.

It is used more often.
I don't know what causes that ring. Something still in the treated water, such as silica, something in the waste that does not get flushed on time?

We would be interested if somebody could scrape that deposit and get a mass spectrometry test done on it. That would be very expensive to get a lab to do it for you, but maybe some chemist with access to really cool equipment could try this and post the findings.

Washer55

Reaction score
I don't know what causes that ring. Something still in the treated water, such as silica, something in the waste that does not get flushed on time?

We would be interested if somebody could scrape that deposit and get a mass spectrometry test done on it. That would be very expensive to get a lab to do it for you, but maybe some chemist with access to really cool equipment could try this and post the findings.

Hehe based on how high the slacking is I doubt it's waste. Must be something in water? I agree would be cool to test maybe it's calcium

Reach4

Reaction score
Hehe based on how high the slacking is I doubt it's waste. Must be something in water? I agree would be cool to test maybe it's calcium
Slacking? Spell checker changed your intention?

I think calcium would have yielded to the CLR and acids.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks