bowl losing water

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
I just moved into a fairly new rental home. It has a couple of Briggs 2-piece toilets with conventional fill valves. Both toilets flush and fill normally, but one of them is somehow losing water from the bowl. After flushing, the bowl refills so that the water spot is normal (about 10 or 12 inches). However, as soon as the valve shuts, the water level in the bowl begins dropping. If you look carefully, you can actually see it recede! After a few minutes, the water level stabilizes at the top of the throat, where the water spot is about 4 inches.

Any idea what could cause this? The bowl is nothing more than a giant trap so it makes no sense to me that it could lose water.

David

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If the toilet that looses water, pour a pail of water slowly into that bowl and watch. If water level drops again there is a sand hole leak in the casting that has warn through. probably would need to replace the fixture. If it holds, then look for a plugged vent.

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
plumber1 said:
If water level drops again there is a sand hole leak in the casting...
Thanks for the tip. I used a bucket and water dropped again, just as before. Hole must be pretty good sized -- water drops several inches in just a couple of minutes. Presumably it's leaking into the sewer? :eek:

According to Briggs website, the toilet has a five-year warranty (house is a couple years old). Are these warranties usually for parts only? I guess it wouldn't hurt to contact the installing plumber to see what he says.

David

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks