Bow in Bath Tub / Ledger Board

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY_Novice

Reaction score
Hi all,
Remodeling my bathroom with a "Bootz" alcove tub (steel porcelain enameled - link) and having an issue with the bath tub flange being bent where it sits on the ledger. I've spread self leveling compound on the floor and the tub sits nice and level now on both the styrofoam support and side apron. The issue now is, when I look underneath the tub from my cut-out in the adjacent room, I can see the flange where the the tub sits on the stringer is not touching all the way through the length of the board. The stringer is flat and level - it looks like the tub has a small bow in it (about 3/8" - see pictures). Any recommendations on what I should do? I feel like it needs to sit on the ledger nice otherwise the weight isn't distributed evenly/correctly and it's going to be a problem in a few years.

1) I could just shim it, or separate my ledger into two separate boards (one with a slight lean to accommodate the bend) but then I'm worried my accompanying shower surround won't sit right (link to tub surround) with this bow/warp.
2) Can I somehow force it to bend back? Could crack the enamel this way though.
3) A bit of a PITA to return it, especially if the rest on the shelf are the same or worse.

I still need to dry fit the shower surround, I suppose I'll try that first before trying anything drastic?

Thankful for any advice you guys can give.

20210712_214154.jpg 20210712_214207.jpg 20210712_214244e.jpg

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would email the manufacturer and see what they say. I think you will wreck it up if you try to bend it.

DIY_Novice

Reaction score
Got a hold of the manafacturer and they said this is by design so the water doesn't pool in the corners of the tub (makes sense) and that shimming it in the two corners is fine. They mentioned the walls should still install OK as well. I think I'd rather shim than cut the ledger board in two and tilt the ledger board so that's the route I'm going to go. Wish me luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks