Bought new home. Is this a well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocketgremlin

Reaction score
I'm a city person but moved into a house in a small NJ township. The home has city water and city sewer but when I was moving some irrigation lines I uncovered this lid. Either the realtor or the home inspector told me that the home is city water, but the irrigation system was supplied by a well. The hole is 30" across and about 8 & 1/2 ft deep and dry with no pipes running into it anywhere. Didn't smell like sewer. Dry with some stones and sand at bottom. Is this a well or a septic tank or something else? Home built in 1970. I I've also included as a picture of what I think is a well pump in my crawl space.

Attachments

• 20170630_112117.jpg
    20170630_112117.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 20170630_112108.jpg
    20170630_112108.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 20170630_124637.jpg
    20170630_124637.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 20170429_164241.jpg
    20170429_164241.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 307

Bgard

Reaction score
unless there is another pipe coming out the side of that pump it looks like there is not a discharge/outlet pipe connected to it, the pipe should connect to the tank and line going out to system.

Rocketgremlin

Reaction score
It isn't filled in enough. It should be filled right to grade with sand or crushed stone. I would've made the seller do it prior to closing.
I agree. I would have liked to have known it was there when I purchased the home, but it's been a year now. This summer I was leveling for an above ground pool and didn't want the sprinkler system to spray the pool and equipment. When I was leveling and digging to relocate 2 of the heads, I dug down and hit the lid....so I hosed it off and took a few pics. I would like to get it filled though.

Rocketgremlin

Reaction score
The well pump is in the crawlspace in the "addition" that was built in around 1987....which is actually the master bedroom now. From what I can see, the white pipe is heading towards the front of the house. Next, I'll have the wife activate the sprinkler and see if that pump motor runs or not.
I assume there is a way of getting old zoning or survey records from the township? It's not that I mind if the stuff is there, but I'd like to know what holes and caverns are under my feet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks