Bought a house with a well and..

Users who are viewing this thread

Lazybearcabin

Reaction score
Hello. I recently bought a house with a well and we are having problems. We had severe pressure issues and dirty water when we moved in. Come to find out, there are 3 inline whole house filters and none of them had a filter in them to allow pressure throughout the house. I recently replaced the pressure tank and all the galvanized pipe that was being used. The rest of the house is 3/4" copper reduced to 1/2" before the fixtures. When we run the washing machine (4 ft from the pressure tank) the rest of the house has zero water. We do get a good bit of sand/small pebbles in the first of the 3 filters. When I replace the filters the water pressure is better, but not when there is a heavy load like the washer. Any idea what I am in store for?

Thanks,

Steve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With sand and small pebbles you are in for a world of trouble. Yes you can filter this stuff out. But the pump is still pumping the abrasives and won't last long. Most likely it is already worn enough not to pump a full stream of water. Check the pressure gauge when there is a heavy load being used. With just an old pressure tank as control, the pump should be cycling on and off from like 40 to 60 PSI. If the pressure is just low and stays low, the pump is not producing much water. Then see if you can find out what size pump it is and how deep it is to water so we can tell you how much that pump SHOULD be producing.

My rule of thumb is if the pump will last 5 years, filter the water. If the pump does not last 5 years, drill a new well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks