Both Takagi TK-3 and TK-Jr fail after gas outage

Users who are viewing this thread

JP737

Reaction score
Hi,
My town recently experienced a loss of gas for about five days. When the gas service was re-connected, both of my Takagi units fail to stay lit. The Tk-3 has a code 611 and the TK-Jr has 4 LED flashes. Both indicate abnormal fan motor as far as I can tell. Both units will light for about 1 second and shut down. The gas company came out on multiple occasions to bleed the system and even went as far as replacing the meter and regulator. The called a contractor out who tested the gas supply at the heater and it checked good. He cleaned and checked the ignitor and flame sensor. He also spoke to Takagi tech support on the phone and they couldn't figure it out. The units are 11 years old, but in otherwise decent shape, and have never had a problem before this. Does anyone know why both units would fail simultaneously due to a gas outage and be throwing essentially the same code? I can't find anyone in the area that has knowledge of these and can service them. Thanks!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If Takagi with a contractor tech at the unit can't figure it out, then it seems hopeless. So sorry, but, those Takagi from that era are, in my opinion, (after having taken the six hour Takagi factory field training including tear-down for those units) not worth much more effort.
I highly recommend Navien NPE A units and they are now the only product we touch.
Very few moving parts that can be almost serviced blindfolded. A few glitches only, like the internal check valve that can need replacement (takes four minutes to do) in some harsh chlorimine water conditions.
Like the difference between the Mercury space capsule and the Dragon (but obviously I take poetic license here).

JP737

Reaction score
If Takagi with a contractor tech at the unit can't figure it out, then it seems hopeless. So sorry, but, those Takagi from that era are, in my opinion, (after having taken the six hour Takagi factory field training including tear-down for those units) not worth much more effort.
I highly recommend Navien NPE A units and they are now the only product we touch.
Very few moving parts that can be almost serviced blindfolded. A few glitches only, like the internal check valve that can need replacement (takes four minutes to do) in some harsh chlorimine water conditions.
Like the difference between the Mercury space capsule and the Dragon (but obviously I take poetic license here).
Thank you, I'll check out the Navien units. I realize that being 11 years old, these boilers probably aren't worth trying to fix, so I'm probably going to have to replace them. It still puzzles me why they would both fail just due to loss of gas pressure. They were plugged in for about a day without gas before I was able to shut them off, so maybe continuously trying to light fried something?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Both heaters have the same failure fan motor or in jr case might also be a pressure switch. In the tk case fan is not coming up to 1000 rpm could be bearings or printed circuit board in manual they give voltages and a way to test the motor with a remote temp controller. On both heaters with no gas they should have locked out on flame failure and shut down. And as for tech support i never seen a factory service throw there hands up. Tech support has the opportunity to talk with the design engineers. Portland might have tech. 888 882-524 customer service

JP737

Reaction score
Both heaters have the same failure fan motor or in jr case might also be a pressure switch. In the tk case fan is not coming up to 1000 rpm could be bearings or printed circuit board in manual they give voltages and a way to test the motor with a remote temp controller. On both heaters with no gas they should have locked out on flame failure and shut down. And as for tech support i never seen a factory service throw there hands up. Tech support has the opportunity to talk with the design engineers. Portland might have tech. 888 882-524 customer service
Thanks for your insight. I'm going to call tech support on Monday myself and see what they say before I decide what to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks