Botched Moen Install?-Single handle tub/shower

Users who are viewing this thread

pauli5500

Reaction score
I haven't ever used this shower ( I know, I know) since I have other showers in the house. Went thru inspection today to sell the house and the inspector found that aside from not getting any hot water to one tub/shower unit, when the handle is turned 'past' the hot water making, the cold water shuts off.In other words, when the handle is vertical, no water, as I turn ccw, I get cold water even when in the hot water zone. When turned all the way ccw, the water shuts off. Limiter misaligned during the install? Correction?

Also: what the heck kind of hex wrench do I need to get the handle off? I've tried every hex wrench I have...beginning to wonder if moen might have used a different kind of screw...installation was 14 years ago.

Thanks for help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might try a 7/64 allen wrench for the handle.
If it's a Posi-Temp cartridge, that is something that can be replaced. Normal operation is cold to start and then progressively warmer. If the cartridge is reversed, it starts off warm and then gets cold. That's an easy fix. The cartridge gets removed and reinstalled in reverse, 180 degrees .
For a pressure balanced faucet, it needs the same pressure on both sides. That means that the water heater needs to be open, and not shut off. Also some valves have stops behind the plate. Those both need to be open. You would normally see those on a multi-family situation, but they are sometimes on residential too.

moen-tub-shower-terrylove-04.jpg

moen-notch-down.jpg

Last edited:

pauli5500

Reaction score
You might try a 7/64 allen wrench for the handle.
If it's a Posi-Temp cartridge, that is something that can be replaced. Normal operation is cold to start and then progressively warmer. If the cartridge is reversed, it starts off warm and then gets cold. That's an easy fix. The cartridge gets removed and reinstalled in reverse, 180 degrees .
For a pressure balanced faucet, it needs the same pressure on both sides. That means that the water heater needs to be open, and not shut off. Also some valves have stops behind the plate. Those both need to be open. You would normally see those on a multi-family situation, but they are sometimes on residential too.

Thanks for the response...I believe it is a Posi-Temp but I'm not sure that the cart. is reversed since I'm getting no hot water at all from just that faucet...and isn't the water totally shutting off when the handle goes all the way CCW weird?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the valve is NOT used periodically, the balancing spool WILL stick and shut off either the hot or cold water, usually the hot. The most reliable repair is to change the cartridge, which CAN create other problems with getting it removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks