Bosch Dishwasher. Garbage Disposal Inlet Bypassed

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt MV

Reaction score
We have a blocked air gap from the previous occupant. Running either the dishwasher or the disposal (with a good amount of water in the sink), causes water to flow out of the air gap.

I would go ahead and try to clear the blockage with a brush, but the way they set up this sink is puzzling me. The person who installed this decided to bypass the dishwasher inlet and hook the drain hose to the wasteline (see photos).

I'm trying to wrap my head around why someone would do that, and if they had a good reason for setting it up that way. We have a Bosch SHV36C03UC dishwasher, a Badger 500 Disposal and we live on a septic system.

The options I am seeing are

a) Clear the blockage and leave the connections as is.

OR

b) Clear the blockage, get the drain hose connected to the disposal's inlet (punch out the plug first), and then replace that bit of PVC where the drain hose currently connects.

I'm also aware of the two outlets under the sink that need to be switched to GFCI, which I plan on tackling before the plumbing issues. I'm not a professional but am decent with handyman projects. I don't have a lot of experience with plumbing though. I'd like to do the right thing and appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_7307.JPG
    IMG_7307.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_7163.JPG
    IMG_7163.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 512

Reach4

Reaction score
You could check for a blockage in or after the trap. With that kind of drain stuff, you can backlight it with a flashlight. You can see the level of water in the trap, which should not be as high as the top of the trap arm.

You could also have a partial blockage in the ribbed area of your flex pipe.

On second thought, I would just make the change to the disposal. If that doesn't fix it, you could check the other stuff.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't install Bosch dishwashers with air-gaps anymore. They seem to pump out too fast for them.
I would install that with a "high loop".
Run the hose high in the cabinet, and then to the disposer.

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had a Bosch dishwasher for several years. I use a high loop, never have had a problem.

Matt MV

Reaction score
These are great ideas, you guys are awesome.

New Plan

Run a light behind the drain to see where the block might be
Clear it
Install a high loop directly to the disposal
And replace that PVC drain section

Terry, if I mess it up, I know who I'm calling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks