Bosch dishwasher air gap overflowing

Users who are viewing this thread

jbook

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new here, and I'm hoping you'll all have some good advice for me.

I have a 6-month old Bosch SHX45M05UC/50 dishwasher. In the last few days the airgap has started gurgling out water into the sink twice towards the end of the cycle - I'd say about 2 cups'-worth each time. So, it goes gurgle gurgle, then water comes out, then nothing, then gurgle gurlgle, then more water, then no more water shoots out and it completes its run.

I don't know how everything's connected together, but we have a garbage disposal which is running fine and has been clear and empty during dishwasher runs. Nothing's changed underneath with the tubing (no work done underneath the cabinet, no bumps by trashcans, etc.) The trap that supposedly catches food in the basin of the dishwasher is empty. When the trap is removed there's about a half inch of standing water at the very bottom underneath it.

It took a lot to get me to spring for this fancy pricey dishwasher, so I'm bummed that it's malfunctioning. Can any of you suggest things for me us to check to avoid an expensive service call?

Thanks in advance,
Jennie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIth an air gap, the water gets pumped up to the device, then across the air gap falls down into the hose leading to the drain. If water is coming out of it, it is either broken or more likely there's a partial clog in the hose from the air gap to the (probably) GD fitting. Take that hose off and look to see if it is clear of crud. If the GD is old, it may not be grinding up the food well, and could be partially plugged up, slowing the draining. How does the sink drain?

Lifespeed

Reaction score
The trap that supposedly catches food in the basin of the dishwasher is empty. When the trap is removed there's about a half inch of standing water at the very bottom underneath it.

It took a lot to get me to spring for this fancy pricey dishwasher, so I'm bummed that it's malfunctioning. Can any of you suggest things for me us to check to avoid an expensive service call?

Jennie,

I also have a Bosch dishwasher and have been very happy with it. The standing water under the food basket is normal.

I suspect your problem is not with the dishwasher itself, but the air vent. It appears you already received some good advice, hope you're able to get it resolved quickly and easily.

sona

Reaction score
  1. Hi everybody,

I'm hoping you'll all have some good advice for me.
    I have a Bosch SHX68T55UC/02 dishwasher. I purchased it in November 2015 but just started using it. From day one it is pumping water outside. I got the air gap changed, even though it was new, Garbage Dispenser is also new. not sure what the problem is.

Thanks in advance,
    Sona

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't install Bosch dishwashers with air-gaps anymore. They seem to pump out too fast for them.
I would install that with a "high loop".
Run the hose high in the cabinet, and then to the disposer.

bosch-drain-2.jpg

disposer-kinked-hose-03.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks