Bored well & total equipment replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

CaverDave

Reaction score
We bought a true "fixer-upper" with my step son late last year (will be his residence).
An 1800sq/ft 1945 brick "ranch" with full basement (poured foundation), plaster walls (good shape save some cracking), hardwood floors (will eventually get refinished), & all of the original doors & clear pine molding intact(aside from an occasional painting whoopsie). It had been vacant for the past 8-10 years.

Now that structural & water intrusion issues are resolved... we need some water for cleaning! (all other uses will wait until it's been re-plumbed, both supply & waste)

The well is bored & appears to have been added later (various piping not associated with this well points toward water being drawn from the creek):
  • 24"(OD) cement casing that's 39' deep & appears the bottom was lined with rock (larger than grapefruit)
  • Static was at 18.5'
  • My rough cipher says that's 360gals?
  • 100% of the old equipment (jet pump, tank, 1 1/4" *COPPER* from wellhead, & all interior supply) was rusted junk & removed
  • We had a local pump the well out (gained 1' of depth from sedimentation)
  • Water refilled to the 19' static after 20 hours (18gals/hour?)
The plan is to go submersible (1/2-3/4HP 10-12gpm "2 wire" 220V) on 1" poly to pitless and 1" poly thru the foundation (9.5' from casing to foundation) and to tank (20' from entry point).

My main questions:
  • Is this a sound plan? Or...
  • How high off bottom? Want to take advantage of the reserve vs. hanging it 10' off bottom... thinking flow inducer cut +2'-3' longer and set on bottom? (to reduce sediment pickup, but will likely run a sediment trap regardless)
  • And before it's mentioned (@valveman), we're still weighing the inclusion of a CSV
If I missed any details or there are other questions, please ask!

CaverDave

Reaction score
Sounds good. I guess the well wall will get core-drilled to pass the pipe to the pitless adapter. I don't know what is going to take the vertical load on the pitless, since you won't have the normal situation.

Yes, was going the drill the concrete casing, appears the nut on the backside of the pitless may work & will add a 6" nipple off the backside, "grout" the whole backside in and add second rope/SS cable to the opposite side of the case to both center & support drop pipe...

Reach4

Reaction score

CaverDave

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Don't make the flow inducer 2'-3' longer than the motor, or you won't be able to get the last 4'-5' of water out of the well. Just cut the shroud (inducer) flush with the bottom of the motor and set it about 12" off the bottom. With a 10 GPM, 1/2HP pump you will need at least a 44 gallon size tank, or a CSV and a 4.5 gallon size tank.

Gonna need a coupling to attach the pitless to a nipple anyway, just get two couplings and add two 6" nipples.

Reach4

Reaction score
Gonna need a coupling to attach the pitless to a nipple anyway, just get two couplings and add two 6" nipples.
I think he was going to use a pitless with an inside 1 inch thread.
B10X_transparent1.jpg

He could use something like the Campbell BF-10XLF, which doesn't have some of those unneeded parts, but that seems more rare.

Last edited:

CaverDave

Reaction score
Don't make the flow inducer 2'-3' longer than the motor, or you won't be able to get the last 4'-5' of water out of the well. Just cut the shroud (inducer) flush with the bottom of the motor and set it about 12" off the bottom. With a 10 GPM, 1/2HP pump you will need at least a 44 gallon size tank, or a CSV and a 4.5 gallon size tank.

I realized the oversight later in the evening, that the inlet on the pump body is in the middle (versus bottom) and would add 1'-1.5' of rise off the bottom. Will adjust the shroud length and park her 1' of the bottom!

need a coupling to attach the pitless to a nipple anyway, just get two couplings and add two 6" nipples.

@valveman Guessing you mean in lew of a single length of pipe from the pitless, just use 2 + coupler?
@Reach4 is correct. I have a standard 1" pitless that *may* have enough thread to use the jam nut... otherwise will use a long nipple(s) and cement in like @VAWellDriller described in the post above (Thinking the additional length inside would space the pump & drop pipe off the inside of the casing enough that a second line to center it may not be needed?)

I think he was going to use a pitless with an inside 1 inch thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks