Booster pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

Tedr

Reaction score
The water pressure is only 10 psi at my cottage and I would like to increase it to at least 30 psi. I have a 3/4 hp jet pump about 15 ft above the lake, and it pumps water to the cottage about 100 ft up a hill. The pump is set for 30/50 cut in/out. There is a 2-gallon pressure tank at the pump (to solve a water hammer/bounce problem) and a 20 gallon tank at the cottage. The air pressure in the 20 gallon tank is 28 psi.

If i understand correctly, the 100 ft vertical lift causes the pressure to drop from 50 psi at the pump to 10 psi at the cottage and the system is delivering all it is capable of.

So how can I get better water pressure at the cottage? I think one alternative might be a booster pump and another tank after the pressure tank that already is in place at the cottage. I'm sure it is more complicated than this. Or maybe there is a better solution to the water pressure problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With that fancy extra ground wire submersibles have now, even if a wire gets cut the easiest path to ground should be the ground wire, not the water. Isn't that the whole purpose of the extra ground wire? I have literally hundreds, maybe thousands of subs out in lakes, rivers, and ponds. Some of them as large as 75HP have been that way for 30+ years with no problem. I would slide them into a PVC casing so nobody can hook a wire, which also makes a good screen.

If you don't want a sub in the water, you can use a high pressure/multistage deep well type jet pump. To make up for the 100' of elevation you need to add 43 PSI to the pressure switch setting. To get 40/60 at the house, the pressure switch and pump must work at 83/103.

Tedr

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The booster pump idea is done. A submersible is a way better idea. But before I do that I want to make sure I have the existing system running as well as it can. I have a question about the location of the pressure tank and the pressure switch, but I'll ask in a separate thread since it is unrelated to the question in this thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks