Bonnet nut question. Delta shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Redqw

Reaction score
I changed my cartridge out today for the first time. I kept reading the horror stories of stuck bonnet nuts. However, I took mine off easily with just my fingers.

I put the nut back on the same way. It doesn't leak when the shower is on and all seems well. Should I have tightened it more than that? I don't want to risk a flood in my bathroom. I've read the faucets are considered fine as long as they don't leak. Does this Also run true for shower handles?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds good to me. The problem is more with the 600 series Delta shower valve, but can also happen with the newer ones too. Sometimes they're tight, and sometimes spin right off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The nut has NOTHING to do with whether it will leak or not. It just holds things together so their "O" rings can seal properly. But if it is not tight enough then the seats may not be compressed sufficiently and it could drip. out of the spout or shower arm.

Redqw

Reaction score
All the O-rings are brand new, it hasn't leaked at the pipe or the faucet. It was more a question of if finger tight has a chance to loosen over time as most of the stories I've heard is that people muscle those bonnet nuts on very tight. I was wondering if I should've done the same thing even though it came off easily.

I was just worried about the whole assembly popping off the pipe and flooding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks