Bonding wire, new water heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Reilly

Reaction score
Good morning Terry and crew,
I am making up a grounding wire for my new water heater. I've attached 2 photos. The soft copper tubing is 1/4" O.D. It fits snugly into the bronze pipe clamp. Hoping this would be equivalent to a solid copper wire.
Many thanks,
Mike Reilly

Attachments

• Copper tubing 010.JPG
    Copper tubing 010.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Copper tubing 005.JPG
    Copper tubing 005.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 153

Reach4

Reaction score
Water heaters don't normally get a grounding rod. They would often get a wire that connects the copper pipe before and after the WH. Maybe that is what you had in mind.

If using copper tubing, I would insert a few inches of the biggest solid copper wire that would fit, in the hole in the tubing before clamping down.

Mike Reilly

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant "bonding" wire from the cold pipe to the hot pipe above the heater. Electrician brother-in law recommended this to reduce corrosion within the heater.

Great idea to insert wire into the tubing.

Thanks so much,
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks