Boiler valve confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

jmiyake

Reaction score
This is my first cold weather season in my first home and I can't figure out why the baseboard heating isn't working. I think I've covered everything common sense tells me to do:

The machine(s) are working: I hear the water moving in the floor (or the basement ceiling), the room with the equipment is very warm, the pipes are hot, the kitchen floor is warm, and two of the zoned areas are warm (the ones without baseboards).

I've checked all the zoned thermostats, and they're all on.

There are tons of valves in the basement. I found the ones labelled for the upstairs baseboards and downstairs baseboards and made sure they're open. I suspect my problem is related to the valves...

What else can I do?

Thank you!

daveydo

Reaction score
Have you cheched the baseboard heaters for drain cocks. you may have air in the radiators. it is quite common. They will not heat properly or at all if there is air present.
My experience was, at the beginning of the heating season, I would bleed the rads of air.
Open the cock while using a small container to catch the water.
Open slowly, and be ready to quickly close. The thing will sputter and spit untill you get a full stream of water. Look out, the water may be quite dirty. so cover or protect carpets etc. The amount of water will be small, 1/2 cup or so.

You may have to do it again during the season. So keep checking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks