Boiler pressure rises

Users who are viewing this thread

Leo

Reaction score
Allied Engineering Superhot MG-75 Nat gas boiler (14 years old) for hydronic home baseboard heating losing water from PRV. Found 2 gal exp tank had no air charge and full of water. Installed Maxtrol EX-15 exp tank with 14 PSI precharge, new 30 PSI PRV, and a new boiler 1/2" drain gate valve. I purged air from all 5 zones and from the boiler circuit. I have 14-16 PSI reading on tridicator so pressure reducing valve is working correctly, (I brought it down from 19 PSI as only have 14 feet of lift). I have twice lit the pilot, warmed the heat exchanger, then fired up the boiler. 2-3 minutes and I'm at 180 F and 29 PSI and climbing so had to shut down. WTF? I have a circulator at the boiler on the return side. Any ideas? What is the circulation pump supposed to sound like?

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I happen to like B@G series 100 circulator installed on the return side and it is quiet

Reach4

Reaction score
Allied Engineering Superhot MG-75 Nat gas boiler (14 years old) for hydronic home baseboard heating losing water from PRV. Found 2 gal exp tank had no air charge and full of water. Installed Maxtrol EX-15 exp tank with 14 PSI precharge, new 30 PSI PRV, and a new boiler 1/2" drain gate valve. I purged air from all 5 zones and from the boiler circuit. I have 14-16 PSI reading on tridicator so pressure reducing valve is working correctly, (I brought it down from 19 PSI as only have 14 feet of lift). I have twice lit the pilot, warmed the heat exchanger, then fired up the boiler. 2-3 minutes and I'm at 180 F and 29 PSI and climbing so had to shut down. WTF? I have a circulator at the boiler on the return side. Any ideas? What is the circulation pump supposed to sound like?
I never heard of Maxtrol. Sounds like you need a much larger expansion tank. Either that, or your fill valve leaks. I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the ET is working and the pressure rises that much, only three things that I can think of:
- the autofill valve is leaking some
- the heating coil of the potable water (either internal or if you have an indirect) may have a small leak in it, letting pressurized potable water into the heating circuit
- the ET is undersized for your system

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score

If the boiler is going from 14-15 psi to 29-30 psi and 140F to 180F in two minutes it means there is likely to be valves closed isolating the boiler from the system (probably not just isolated from the expansion tank, since it indicates zero flow.)

If the flow is being blocked by a closed valve, the pump is probably cavitating audibly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks