Boiler Piping Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

JDB

Reaction score
Hello, I am installing a wood pellet boiler (MBTEK Phoenix 30) that will connect to a hydronic heat exchange in my forced air plenum. The pump is a combo unit with condensate protection built in. This will be a closed loop system that is not plumbed to a city water feed line. I will fill the boiler through a valve via connected hose and top off manually when the water level becomes low, then disconnect the hose. I am wondering if the attached diagram has the necessary components and correct placements. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Boiler_Layout.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello, I am installing a wood pellet boiler (MBTEK Phoenix 30) that will connect to a hydronic heat exchange in my forced air plenum. The pump is a combo unit with condensate protection built in. This will be a closed loop system that is not plumbed to a city water feed line. I will fill the boiler through a valve via connected hose and top off manually when the water level becomes low, then disconnect the hose. I am wondering if the attached diagram has the necessary components and correct placements. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

View attachment 88308
You really need a fill valve that is hooked to a water supply. This acts as a backup to the integral low water cut off. If your lwco becomes stuck or is tricked your boiler could become a steam boiler pretty quick and in turn into a huge mess or explosion could result.

I would think about using an air seperater that has a magnetic filter incorporated or at the very least a wye strainer. Check valve also for ghost flow.

Wye strainer, Pump, check valve is the order.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Normally air handler coils are piped in the bottom out the top to push any trapped air out. Is the coil marked in and out? Also the air separator and ex tank move to the suction side of the pump. Put a coin vent at the highest point for air removel. Air separator shown in drawing looks like a micro bubble style do have a brand and a model picked out what is it? Contact the boiler manufacturer or the place u purchased it ask about low water protection. Makeup water isn't low water protection. This control should be Mandatory. If for any reason boiler run low on water and someone adds some adds water to a red hot boiler it will BLOW UP water will flash to steam. Only use boiler glycol 30% minimum for the inhibitor package.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally air handler coils are piped in the bottom out the top to push any trapped air out. Is the coil marked in and out? Also the air separator and ex tank move to the suction side of the pump. Put a coin vent at the highest point for air removel. Air separator shown in drawing looks like a micro bubble style do have a brand and a model picked out what is it? Contact the boiler manufacturer or the place u purchased it ask about low water protection. Makeup water isn't low water protection. This control should be Mandatory. If for any reason boiler run low on water and someone adds some adds water to a red hot boiler it will BLOW UP water will flash to steam. Only use boiler glycol 30% minimum for the inhibitor package.
Pretty sure the lwco is integral. The fill valve is backup protection. Along with all of the other protections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks